"Love to make music to"

Sunday, February 8, 2009

my autumn's / done come

This time, less self-indulgent saga, more music. That Radiohead song in the post beneath is worth wading through my reminiscences for though; unadulterated genius.

Merriweather Post Pavillion



i just want four walls and adobe slabs / for my girls

I must admit, I got the latest Animal Collective album as soon as it leaked on Christmas Day, but felt bad about posting anything from it before now. That said, everyone on hypemachine has been going hell for leather since then, which would have alleviated any guilt...

The three songs I'm particularly enamoured of are In the Flowers, My Girls, and Brothersport, but its only the last that remains consistently great all the way through. That said, In the Flowers after "if i could just leave my body / for a night" takes a tribal turn for the terrific as the powerful percussion pounds away over trademark AC distortion.

Animal Collective - My Girls

The Smiths


I've always listened to a lot of Smiths ever since Abbey burnt me a cd of Hatful of Hollow. While Abbey may have graduated to the higher purpose of waking me up at 2am, my love for this band burns on, despite the fact that a lot of electronic music has superceded them in ephemeral, last.fm rankings...if you like Modest Mouse and haven't heard of the Smiths then check these out; the guitarist Johnny Marr was a founding member before "floating on".

The Smiths - William, It Was Really Nothing

The Smiths - Still Ill


Beach House


"Atmosphere rock". That's a description of Beach House I like and I'm going to stick with it. Speaking of genres, I've got one of my own; myth-rock. Like math-rock, except in terms of comparison its more manti-core. Download this, make up for that joke. Beach House is great music to listen to when working, particularly if you like listening to similar songs all the way through prolonged periods of time. Alternatively, Joe Jackson's Steppin Out or the Idjut Boy's rework of Phil Collin's I'm Not Moving are both extremely effective on repeat.

See if you can pick up the "David-Bowie-percussion-from-the-album-Low-as-in-Warswaza" vibes in this, as in the majority of Beach House...

Beach House - Gila

No comments: