"Love to make music to"

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

not in our stars / but in ourselves

In this edition of Cellophane Sunset: Angus Stone's solo emancipation from his sister under the name Lady of the Sunshine, a 17 minute ambient masterpiece from Brian Eno, live Animal Collective and a dash of infectious post-punk from Essential Logic. I promised myself I wouldn't do this again before I left but obviously I couldn't restrain myself...
Angus Stone - Lady of the Sunshine

Angus Stone, who I featured last issue in his capacity of his work with his sister, has put out a solo record under the name Lady of the Sunshine, recorded up near Coolangatta in a converted watertank. While I love the work the brother and sister team put together, this solo effort is equally special. I was listening to an interview with Richard Kingsmill today in which Angus talked about recording in the watertank, with the stones soaking up the noise of the drums, and it really formed a clear image in my mind of what he'd set out to create. The album Smoking Gun varies between quiet, reflective songs of the kind he and his sister are famous for, and louder tracks, spurred on by his father's Telecaster. Something about the beginning of Jack Nimble has subtle Triffids vibes for me, as well, something to watch out for...
Brian Eno
Ambient 1: Music For Airports marked Eno's departure from the sound of Roxy Music and Talking Heads, and massively acclaimed albums like Before and After Science. There are only four songs of which the one below is the first, but they are all quite long (this one weighs in at 17 minutes). I've written before about Eno (the song Not Yet Remembered) and his efforts in his ambient work to strive towards organic minimalism, the kind of music you can have on in the background but instantly connect and grapple with if you choose, and I've put this on here just to give anyone out there with a receptible mind an insight into such music.
Live Animal Collective

you've got to get rid / of your money
I have to stop blogging AC, or come to think of it, any of the bands that fill up my last.fm top 8 (Radiohead, of Montreal, Hot Chip, Why?, Faux Pas, Gang of Four, The Triffids, J Dilla, Animal Collective and The Smiths, since you asked). But nevertheless, I came across this live set over at nyctaper (link below); exquisitely recorded and with great transitions between tracks. For fans of AC check out the site as there's some great versions of their older songs such as Slippi and Fireworks lurking in this set. I chose to share this song purely because they didn't play In The Flowers and as such this one took line honours in terms of personal favouritism...enjoy!
(recorded by nyctaper)
Essential Logic

fanfare in the garden / circus in the sun

I'd forgotten I had this elusive post-punk track, ripped off an old NME tape by the very cool dalstonoxfam blog (check it out, very good concept), but it came on shuffle on the way to my formal and I promised Abbey it would surface here.

Fanfare in the Garden - Essential Logic

I'm really going to take a break now, I swear.

No comments: