"Love to make music to"

Thursday, June 11, 2009

so if i seem / broken in two

The Triffids



beautiful waste / stupid feeling

The Triffids' track Rosevel was one of the first ever to grace the pages of this blog, although admittedly the indian-healing-chant-inspired Witchi Tai To will forever hold first pride of place in this little electronic cave.
I usually assosciate bands I'm really familiar with in relation to specific time periods when my love for them was greatest; for example, year 8 marked a prolonged and unexpected Bob Marley phase, while the beginning of year 10 and all the tempestuous storm clouds that gathered over Gippsland at that point was marred by a love of 2-tone ska band Madness. However The Triffids have always just seemed to be there, ever since I started taking music seriously, and Beautiful Waste below is one of my favourite songs of theirs, from the album Australian Melodrama. McComb's lyricism combines with his band's rhythm section for something truly heart-rending and spectacular.




Animal Collective / Panda Bear


i feel alright / i found a place that fits right...

nimal Collective are another band that's always been there for me, banging away on their peacedrums at the edge of my psyche. The two songs below are from their acoustic-heavy period, predating the hugely successful release of Merriweather Post Pavillion at the beginning of this year. The Softest Voice can be found on Sung Tongs, while singer Panda Bear's Untitled #3 is from his album Young Prayer. The Softest Voice just might be the perfect soundtrack for drifting into oblivion.




...it feels small / but i won't get sad about it


Nina Simone


southern trees / bearing strange fruit

My history teacher played this for us last year, (in addition to the entirety of Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant...) and I was enthralled from start to finish. This song has been covered so many times, even by artists like Siouxsie, which indicates the relevance of its subject matter to the American consciousness if nothing else, but here Simone's voice takes it somewhere special.



Fleet Foxes

you walk along the stream / your head caught in a waking dream
I really like these guys but have never listened to them with the diligence that they deservep; here is Your Protector, coming home.

i see a house / a house of stone

I'm not really sure what kind of headspace I'm in right now, but soul in all its forms seems to be doing the trick. If forced to specify further a mixture of some of the acoustic Animal Collective above, some soul in the form of either this or Isaac Hayes' cover of Walk On By, with just the whisper of electronic harp, would be an accurate mental cross-section at the moment.
My ramblings finished, I highly recommend the song below; hopefully it'll have the same effect on you.

It's been raining / for so long
- Dragon

1 comment:

ib said...

Nice blog here, Eric. Images and sounds. I've added Cellophane Sunset to my "honorary siblings" sidecar links.