"Love to make music to"

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

this night / has opened my eyes

Angus and Julia Stone

they brand you with the fire / and push you into the sun

One of my favourite songs, from the brother-sister duo of Angus and Julia Stone, who I was introduced to in slightly unbelievable and very memorable fashion in a mysterious set of circumstances detailed in my English Creative SAC. But that's neither here nor there, and in any case the song on that occasion was Paper Aeroplanes, which fills me with poignant dread even now. I tried to get Stef to play this out the front of Piedemontes once but Calum came back early, tragedy. The perfect soundtrack for those early mornings spent struggling to break free from the grip of dreams.


David Bowie

andy warhol / silver screen / can't tell them apart at all

I've always been a big Bowie fan, especially of songs like Moonage Daydream and Letter to Hermione, but this one is slightly more left-of-field, taking as its subject matter Andy Warhol and subjecting him to intense acoustic orchestration. Be sure to let this play through the intro, which is slightly off-putting...

Andy Warhol - David Bowie

Isaac Hayes


I have a few covers of this song as well as the original recording from Dionne Warwick but this is far and away my favourite one, and on an equal footing with another similar cover performed by Isaac, The Look of Love, which I'll get around to posting at some point.



Grizzly Bear

always the same / i know

Grizzly Bear have been subjected to some intense echo-chamber effect, in terms of blogging, which is why I've held off for a while. What I mean by echo-chamber is that the hype on certain machines (you see what I did there) has been so prolific that its become hard to see where blogs containing Grizzly Bear end and the rest of the Internet begins. That said, here is Cheerleader, my equal favourite track (tied with While You Wait For The Others) from their latest album, Veckatimest

The The


i've got you under my skin / where the rain can't get in

The glorious return of The The to these electronic pages following their glorious debut back in This Is The Day. I heard somewhere that this particular song clocked in at #4 on one of Triple J's "Greatest Songs Of All Time" lists and its easy to see why, or rather hear why (unless you're one of those visual-auditory people, with small, carney-folk hands). Johnson's sublime lyrics reach the crescest of endos alongside the guitar of someone who is possibly the great Marr himself (I'm not altogether sure whether he had arrived in the band at this point). Enjoy.

Uncertain Smile - The The

unmade love / i'm not getting any stronger

No comments: